Thursday, November 18, 2010

Women's Role

May 5th, 1917

Dear Jennifer,

Jennifer, I miss you so much! I heard about the Wartime Election Act! I believe they granted the federal vote to the mothers, wives, and sisters of those participating in the Armed forces. You always wished to vote, and now you can! Surprisingly there are so many women working hard for our country. The world is changing; the war is changing our society. This is good news to the ladies like you Jen, who are independent and strong. I notice that the role of women in society is getting bigger and bigger. There are many women who work in banks, police forces, and in medicine. You will be surprised to hear this! There are so many women here, in a war! They nurse and build aircrafts, how awesome! I think of you when I see the women eagerly helping in the war effort. I am also aware of women taking paid or voluntary employment since there are not enough male workers. I am truly amazed at women’s ability. Jen, I never actually agreed with you when you talked about the equality between men and women, but after seeing how useful women are, I have changed my mind completely. I hear women are getting almost two thirds the pay of men! Soon women will get the same pay as men's! I am sincerely happy for you. You will be able to do so much more than our mother did.
Thanks for taking care of the family.

Love,

Your brother, Robert


Woman in arms industry World War


Nurses




Citation:

Woman In Arms Industry World War 1. Photograph. Encyclopædia Britannica Image Quest. Web. 8 Dec 2010.

A Times Picture Of Registration For War Work In World War I. Student Nurses From The Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital Registeri Ng As Part Of The 1919 Class At The Women's Labour Exchange. Photograph. Encyclopædia Britannica Image Quest. Web. 8 Dec 2010.


"The Women of World War I." War and Gender. N.p., Sept. 2001. Web. 20 Nov. 2010.
     
http://www.warandgender.com/wgwomwwi.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment